Sustainable Communities Tour Wānaka
Get a first hand look at what a sustainable community really looks like with this guided tour around Wānaka. You’ll visit a number of locations, and get a first-hand perspective of what is going on already from transport electrification to pest eradication and native planting.
Running alongside the bike tour, this year we will delve into short workshops throughout the tour, focusing on skills for the everyday person to live more sustainably, hosted by our very own Wānaka community groups. Stops include:
- A look at our freshwater tuna (eels) and protected grebes with local experts.
- Wānaka EV Club, discussing transport electrification, the advantages of driving on electrons and the different electric vehicles available in New Zealand today.
- An opportunity to explore how we monitor an urban stream, hosted by WAI Wānaka.
- A visit to our community-based nursery, Te Kakano, to learn about local native plants
- First hand look at bee hives in the urban environment with Tiaki Bees.
- See how a pest-trap is built with the Wānaka Community Workshop, followed by setting traps with Wānaka Backyard Trappers.
- A look at a solar home with our very own Wānaka Solar.
- Refuel for a lunch stop provided by Freshlink Grocer, featuring a chat from owner Jesse Herbert on new and old sustainable shopping practices.
- Get a first hand look at a Wānaka community garden project, Grow Wānaka, using a circular economy system to create a growing hub for the community to come together.
- View Next Generation Boat's fully electric e-foiling boat out in the water.
Check out our Queenstown Sustainable Community Tour.
Check this video for more information:
Disclaimer: this tour will take place on bikes and requires a small level of fitness. There is also the option to ride-share the tour, or jump in an electric vehicle. We will gauge your preference closer to the event.
The Wao Summit is a six day annual event held in the Southern Lakes (Wānaka and Queenstown). Its aim is to inspire, educate and enable our transition as a community and nation to a healthy, thriving, diverse, low carbon community. This event is part of the Wao Summit 2022, check out the full programme here.