THE JAMES LOCKWOOD QUINTET PLAYS DIZZY GILLESPIE
FRIDAY 8th DECEMBER - THE JAMES LOCKWOOD QUINTET PLAYS DIZZY GILLESPIE
DOORS 5.30PM SHOW 6.30 to 8.15pm Tickets $20 + BF
The James Lockwood Quintet presents a celebration of the great African-American trumpeter and godfather of the Bebop Tradition, John Birks ‘Dizzy’ Gillespie.
Alongside altoist Charlie Parker, Gillespie pioneered the musical language of Bebop, and contributed numerous compositions to its musical canon. Gillespie’s sophisticated improvisational style, which combines ‘dizzying’ pyrotechnics with high-flying melodic invention, remains a chief source of inspiration for jazz musicians and audiences across several generations.
For this performance, upright bassist James Lockwood is joined by trumpeter Chris Skepper and drummer Gordon Pendleton, in addition to regular compatriots on guitar Lee Jones and Pierre Jaquinot. The quintet is proud to present a selection of Gillespie’s better and lesser-known compositions in a high-energy and dynamic format inspired by the best of the Bebop idiom.
- In the case of feature ticketed shows, seating will be automatically assigned to all ticket holders, and please be aware that some tables are shared; no reservations are required for tables.
- Limited seating is offered for all dance party events to allow for an open dance floor experience.
- Open Studio offers a patio and an outdoor garden courtyard with seating.
- Enjoy a variety of options, including sweet and savory crepes, cheese boards, jaffles, homemade nachos, cocktails, mocktails, and more, served until late.
- Please note that all tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable, as per our no-refund policy.
- The ticket price is inclusive of GST.
- A booking fee applies to all tickets.